Friday, June 29, 2012

Decorating With Vintage Bicycles...A Fun Story


On the first day of my son Zach's spring break from school, I decided it would be fun for us to go for a bike ride. Now mind you, I had not been on a bike in 15 years. I had recently purchased an old bicycle at a yard sale and was anxious to "get some exercise".  


After telling Zach, "you never forget how to ride a bicycle", I took off  with dogged determination.


At the end of the street is a path you can take to get to a lovely park. As you leave the street, you have to maneuver up a higher than normal curb and onto a dirt path. Well here is where the story takes a tragic turn. Forgetting the aforementioned rule of balance, I rolled up onto the curb.......and stopped . Gravity said "Lisa Farmer, come on down" and as Zach described it, in slow motion, I complied. And then Gravity said......"gottcha"! Within 5 minutes from the house, I had shattered my right (of course it HAD to be that one) elbow and lay there a crumpled mess with elbow and dignity destroyed.


I knew I was not going to be riding anymore so started thinking of how I would teach my bike a lesson. I would either put it up never to be ridden again.....




or use it in some sort of  demeaning way. Bicycles are meant to be free after all.


Maybe I would make a gate out of it.  That would teach it a lesson!!


Or donate it to be melted down and used to create the worlds largest bicycle.


But after months of healing, I began to see the beauty ....









and usefulness of  bicycles again.


And remembered how much fun it was to ride double with a friend.


I remembered that bicycles can be so romantic.


 A great way to go on a picnic!


And how much fun you can have just riding along with the wind in your hair.




So I decided to forgive my bicycle and maybe give it an honored place in my garden,




 lean it up somewhere for all to admire,


or make it a part of my interior design.


I could even bake it a cookie to show just how sorry I was for the neglect.


After all it could have been worse.
Sadly, before I had the chance to make amends, someone stole it from my porch. I can only hope they saw it's vintage beauty and gave it a place of prominence in THEIR flower garden. If not ..... I hope Gravity  decides to come calling again!



I hope you had a good time!!

9 comments:

  1. teehee......CLEVER, CLEVER,CLEVER MY DEAR!

    From the first word and image to the very last, this was a tight and perfect story about life. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Have a fantastic day and go with the flow of gravity...heck, you just can't win over its inevitable powers!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita you can't imagine how your encouraging remarks help to release something inside that has not been given room to breath in a very long time. I have wonderful friends but none to share creative ideas and silliness with. I decided a blog might be the answer, and the fact that someone as creative as you would find it enjoyable is so exciting. I am honored by your interest and following. I hope you have a lovely weekend!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your visits to my blog today. I hope you wil come back often! I'm thinking that bicycle hanging on the brick wall with the basket of plants might be from right here in Birmingham! Small world!
    Bon weekend,
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post!! LOVE all the bicycle pics and inspiration. Truly glad to hear you've had a successful recovery.
    Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and entertaining post. A great beginning to my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa my dear!

    I am taking a very short break here from steaming off two layers of wall paper that was painted over at least two times!!! My husband is so good to help me with the process. My little writing studio is going to be in FROST WHITE and gray trim...the old French château look that we have been working on for a while.

    THANK YOU for visiting me and for this WONDERFUL reply; I feel the same way about blogging. Let me tell you what I THINK after thinking about this for four years, since I have been blogging.

    In the blogging community, people WANT TO communicate and create. We find kindred spirits and then once we find each other, there is NO STOPPING the flow. In the physical community, many people have no platform or forum from which to launch discussions or present things in a story telling way. HEnce, the magic.

    I resigned from my teaching job in April THANKS TO A FABULOUS blogger friend who "discovered" my art and writing. She encouraged me, has been guiding me, and helped put on the lightbulb in my head. Most of all, I have learned much through DAILY and PURPOSEFUL writing. It has SHAPED my next vision, and that is to work at home, create and merge two of my passions together.

    KEEP CREATING. Create DAILY. Be purposeful and don't let anything stop you, even YOURSELF. If you can produce even an IDEA a day, little by little, you will find what capacity in which you will flourish even more.

    I am so happy to have found you, for you to have found me, and I believe it was due to the Paris Party.....see what linking can do?

    Not back to the old sticky walls!!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bnjour Lisa,
    Thank you for stopping by to visit my blog, now I've found yourvery beautiful one; What a good post, but sorry to hear about your elbow. Hope it is fully mended now.
    I'm a new follwoer and will be back again soon.
    Wishing you a good week,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say we're happy to be foolowing too. Love your blog layout!
    à bientôt,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! These are really lovely bicycles! Have a gorgeous day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...